Semi-truck hits Amtrak- 6 Dead, Dozens Injured
There are 6 confirmed dead, and dozens injured after a semi-truck crashed into an Amtrak train on Friday (June 24, 2011). Among the dead are an Amtrak train crew member and the operator of the truck. According to a news release from Amtrak, there were approximately 204 passengers and 14 crew members aboard at the time of the incident.
Reasons for the Crash- What Authorities Know
Information provided by the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB):
- The signal light and crossing guard arms were working at time of crash
- There was good visibility of the train tracks from the road
- The crossing signal was set to activate 25 seconds prior to the train's arrival
- The crossing signal would have been visible from half a mile away to a truck traveling at the speed limit of 70 m.p.h.
- The truck skidded 320 feet before hitting the train
- Tire tracks were found at the scene
- The truck was traveling so fast that when it hit the train, it became embedded in the side
- John Davis Trucking (the firm whose driver crashed into the train) has been cited in the past for 7 violations
- None of the violations involved the particular tractor trailer that crashed
- NTSB is reviewing both the firm's records and the driver’s records
- Autopsy and toxicology reports are expected to take several days
Contact an Experienced Trucking Accident Attorney
Thomas J. Henry have handled a multitude of 18-wheeler accidents over the past two decades and continue to handle many of the largest 18-wheeler accident cases throughout the United States. Whether the company is small or large, our success is not an accident; it is because we understand how trucking companies operate.
Thomas J. Henry are available to respond to trucking accidents at any hour, day or night. Our lawyers understand that the immediate acquisition, or acquiring, of evidence is paramount to understanding how the accident occurred. Remember, your choice does matter. Contact our offices– we are available 24/7, nights and weekends.
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57