Starbucks Recalls Two Items for Possible Listeria and Allergen Contamination
CNN reports that Progressive Gourmet Inc. Starbucks food manufacture has recalled the sausage, egg and cheddar cheese on an English muffin breakfast sandwich and “Cheese & Fruit Box” packs due to possible contamination of Listeria or allergens.
Description of the Recalled Breakfast Sandwiches
- The recalled sausage, egg, with cheddar cheese on an English muffin breakfast sandwich came in a 6-ounce package with a clear plastic labeled “Best Before: 07-AUG-2016” on top.
- 250 stores sold this product in Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas on Thursday and Friday.
- The FDA was informed of this possible contamination as soon as Starbucks found out.
- Progressive Gourmet Inc. routine testing has found Listeria on a surface within the production facility.
Description of the Recalled Cheese & Fruit Bistro Packs
- The recalled “Cheese & Fruit Box” packs ingredient supplier has issued a recall for the boxes that have an “enjoy by date” of March 4.
- This particular box with almonds may also have undeclared cashews which could cause severe or life-threatening reactions to any consumers who may be allergic to cashews.
- Retail distribution was within the Washington state.
- According to Starbucks, the company removed the effected products from stores as soon as it became aware of the issue and says no other products or “enjoy by” dates are included in this recall.
- Consumers that are not allergic to cashews are able to safely consume the cashews without worry.
- No illnesses of any kind have been reported at this time.
About the Listeria Threat
According to the FDA, Listeria can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people and others with weakened immune systems. Pregnant women who are infected by Listeria are at risk of miscarriage or stillbirth.
Any consumers that may have questions or concerns regarding this recall can contact Starbucks Customer Relations at 1-800-782-7282 during the week of Monday-Friday, from 8 am to 5 pm.