Study- CT Scans Linked to Child Cancer Risk
A new study, published in the journal Lancet, found that the risk of brain and neck cancer and Leukemia increases with each CT scan that children and adolescents receive. CT scans combine a sequence of X-rays from different angles to offer a three-dimensional image of parts of the human body.
“This paper confirms that radiation, even in relatively low doses, does lead to risk of certain cancers,” Alan Craft, emeritus chair at Newcastle University.
Details of the Cancer Study
- The study involved 176,587 children and was published in the journal Lancet.
- This study focused on head scans since the brain is believed to have heightened sensitivity to radiation.
- The report found cancer risk grew with each scan received, and there was an elevated risk in those who received even just one CT scan.
- Children and adolescents who received two to three CT scans of the head were three times as likely to develop brain cancer as those in the general population.
- The risk of contracting leukemia was three times as great for children who received five to 10 CT scans of the head.
Thomas J. Henry Personal Injury Attorneys
Thomas J. Henry is a personal injury law firm with offices in Corpus Christi, Texas and Houston, Texas representing accident victims nationwide. Our priority is to provide our clients with the best legal representation. Our experienced trial attorneys are committed to defending your rights in personal injury matters including defective products, recalled drugs, child injuries, and auto accidents.
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57