Study Finds Antioxidants Do Not Improve Fertility
According to Medical News Today, a recent study published in The Cochrane Library disputes the idea that antioxidants can help improve fertility and aid in conception. Other studies suggest the supplements can, in fact, reduce fertility and may even lead to an increased risk of cardiovascular related death.
Antioxidants and Fertility
- According to the authors of the study, 25% of people planning to have a child experience difficulties conceiving.
- The couples may be prescribed antioxidant supplements to aid in fertility, including:
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin C
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids
- The idea behind antioxidants is that they reduce harmful substances that are believed to lead to organ aging and illness.
- The study analyzed data from 28 trials with a total sample size of 3,548 women. According to the data, there was no evidence that women given antioxidant supplements were more likely to conceive than those who were not given the supplements.
Antioxidants May Reduce Fertility
- A previous study published in the National Academy of Sciences USA suggested that antioxidants may actually reduce fertility.
- The study done on mice showed that those given antioxidants experienced a significant drop in ovulation levels.
- Those conducting the study believe that ovulation actually relies on the “harmful” substances that antioxidants are meant to reduce.
Other Dangers Linked to Antioxidants
- Antioxidants, like many over the counter supplements, are largely unregulated and may have varying effects on different people.
- Studies show too many antioxidants may interfere with muscle function and the way blood flows through muscles.
- An analysis by the Cleveland Clinic linked high levels of antioxidants to a higher risk of mortality by cardiovascular problems.
Contact an Experienced Product Liability Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division has extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively. We represent a multitude of people who are battling against manufacturers of defective drugs and/or products.
Your choice does matter. If you or a loved one has suffered serious injuries because of recalled foods or supplements, call Thomas J. Henry immediately. We represent clients/victims all over the country. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.