Study Finds High Chair Injuries are on the Rise
Research cited by NBC News suggests that high chair-related injuries have been on the rise since 2003.
About High Chair Injuries
“We have more than 9,400 injuries a year. That’s a child every hour in this country that’s injured form association with a high chair.” – Gary Smith, study researcher and pediatrician at Nationwide children’s Hospital in Columbus, Ohio as published by NBC News.
According to the study published in the journal of Clinical Pediatrics, reports of high chair-related child injuries increased by 22 percent between 2003 and 2010.
Falling caused the most injuries, many of them head injuries including fractures and concussions, with approximately two-thirds of falls occurring when children were climbing or standing in the chair.
Researchers involved in the study are urging that parents check high chair seat restrains to ensure their child's safety and to remember to place high chairs away from walls and tables.
High Chair Safety Tips
Following information provided by NBC News:
- High chairs should include safety straps with either a 3-point or 5-point harness and a crotch strap.
- When buckling a child into a high chair, guardians should make sure the straps are attached firmly and fit snugly around the child.
- Place highchairs away from tables and walls so that the child cannot push or kick the chair over.
- Use booster seats that can be secured to a chair and have a tray.
- Parents are urged to periodically check for high chair recalls through recalls.gov.
Contact an Experienced Child Safety Recall Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division has extensive knowledge and resources in both product liability litigation and child injury. If your child has been the victim of a serious injury due to a recalled product, contact our offices. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends, and we represent clients/victims all over the country.
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57