Study Links Two Pesticides to Endometriosis
A recent study has linked two pesticides with estrogenic prperties to a chronic gynecological condition called endometriosis.
What Is Endometriosis?
- Endometriosis is a condition in which the lining of the uterus grow into areas of the body beyond the uterine cavity.
- Women with the condition often suffer from debilitating side effects including severe pelvic pain, painful periods, irregular bleeding and, in some cases, infertility.
- Though the condition is somewhat common, affecting about 10 percent of reproductive-aged women, there is currently no clear indication as to why the condition develops in some women, but not others.
Pesticides Linked to Endometriosis
“The key message from our study is that persistent environmental chemicals may affect the current generation of reproductive age women.” – Dr. Kristen Upson National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences as published by FOX News
- In efforts to better understand how endometriosis develops, researchers sought to study whether chemicals with estrogenic properties have an effect on the development of the disease.
- According to FOX News, researchers from the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center analyzed blood samples from 248 women recently diagnosed with endometriosis and 538 women without the disease.
- Researchers found that women with high levels of exposure to pesticides beta-hexachlorocyclohexane (ß-HCH) and mirex had a 30 to 70 percent increased risk of being diagnosed with endometriosis.
- ß-HCH was commonly used as an agricultural pesticide in the 1970s while mirex saw use in the 1960s and 1970s against ants across millions of acres in the southeastern United States.
- Though both have been banned following concerns over their effect on the environment and health, remnants of the chemicals still linger in the environment.
Contact an Experienced Product Liability Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division has extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively. We represent a multitude of people who are battling against manufacturers of defective drugs and/or products.
Your choice does matter. If you or a loved one has suffered serious injuries because of a recalled product, call Thomas J. Henry immediately. We represent clients/victims all over the country. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.