Texas Daycare Investigated after the Death of a Seven-Year-Old Boy
About the Daycare Accident
On March 13, 2014, seven-year-old Jordan Arredondo died at Bethune Daycare center after being “fatally crushed” by an unsecure TV set. The state of Texas conducted an investigation and has since put the daycare center under strict guidelines and surveillance.
Although the incident seems to be a terrible accident, it also appears to show negligence on the part of the daycare facility’s staff.
According to the state investigation documents provided by the Department of Family and Protective Services, the daycare “failed to operate in compliance with minimum standard rules” and “Failed to use good judgment by failing to properly secure” the television set. However, this appeal was overruled on the premise that there was no indication that the TV cart used at the time had a weight limit or was used in a manner which could have been deemed unsafe.
In addition to the aforementioned allegations, the daycare was cited for leaving the TV on the cart which was “accessible to children when not in use.” The supervising in charge of the children was said to have been in the restroom at the time of the accident.
- Texas state investigators ruled that Bethune Daycare must now undergo a random inspection every 60 days.
- Employees at Bethune must undergo extra childcare and safety training.
- Citations must be posted at every entrance.
- Parents must sign off to verify they are aware that Bethune Daycare is placed under corrective evaluation.
- It is unclear how long Bethune will remain under corrective evaluation.
According to www.childcareaware.org:
- The United States does not have federal reporting requirements for child fatalities in the child care industry.
- Only 38 states have child care licensing agencies that require child fatalities be reported.
- The Texas Department of Family and Protective Services recorded 49 deaths due to unregulated child care from 2004 to 2007.
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57