Texas Man to Stand Trial for Fatal Utah Collision
About the Fatal Utah Car Crash
“What he was doing was reckless and he should have recognized his behavior was out of line.” – San Juan County Attorney Craig Halls as published by the Salt Lake Tribune
- According to the Salt Lake Tribune, David Lewis, 28, was traveling along southbound State Road 191 south of Moab, Utah on August 16 when he was involved in a fatal head-on collision.
- Lewis had attempted to pass an 18-wheeler when he collided with an oncoming Hyundai. Lewis’s Nissan Maxima then struck a Cadillac DTS.
- Lewis’ front passenger, Juan Vidales, 54, was killed on impact while his rear passengers, 28-year-old Stephanie Vidales and 10-year-old Lillian Vidales, were ejected from the vehicle – Ms. Vidales died from her injuries while the child was rushed to Juan Hospital in Monticello.
- 69-year-old Arthur Loewen, the front passenger of the Cadillac was also killed on impact according to the Utah Highway Patrol.
- Lewis now faces three counts of manslaughter and 15 years in prison if sentenced. A two-day trial has been set to begin July 30.
Fatal Auto Accident Statistics
- According to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 34,080 people lost their live in auto accidents across the U.S. – a 5.3 percent increase from 2011.
- Texas Department of Transportation data shows that Texas also recorded a sharp increase in the number of traffic fatalities recorded in 2012 with a reported 3,399 deaths attributed to car crashes – up 10.82 percent from 2011. Another 87,087 people were seriously injured.
- Of the fatalities recorded, 467 were motorcyclist, 481 were pedestrians and 56 were cyclist.
Based on this data, it is estimated that Texas records:
- 1 traffic fatality every 2 hours.
- 1 serious injury every 2 minutes and 17 seconds.
- 1 reportable traffic collision every 75 seconds.
Contact an Experienced Auto Accident Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are available to respond to auto accidents at any hour, day or night. Our lawyers understand that the immediate acquisition, or acquiring, of evidence is paramount to understanding how the accident occurred. Remember, your choice does matter. Contact our offices – we are available 24/7, nights and weekends and we represent clients/victims all over the country.
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULT
$1.8 MillionExpenses: $20,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $765,000.00 | Net to Client: $1 Million
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULTS
$2 MillionExpenses: $78,475.96 | Attorneys Fees: $850,087.96 | Net to Client: $1,071,436.00
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULT
$2.3 MillionExpenses: $200,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $900,000.00 | Net to Client: $1.2 Million