Texas Teen to Get Harsher Charge for Fatal Hit-and-Run
18 year-old Fernando Alvarado will face an elevated penalty for his involvement in a hit-and-run that took place a week ago. This is the result of new Texas legislation that became effective on September 1.
Midliand, Texas Hit-and-Run Accident
- According to the Midland Reporter – Telegram, Alvarado fled the scene of a Midland County vehicle accident where he failed to render aid. Alvarado was driving a pick-up truck when he was struck by an SUV driven by 28 year-old Noah Alexander Flemister.
- Flemister was not wearing a seatbelt and was ejected from the SUV. He was taken to the local hospital where he later died from his injuries.
- The teen was arrested and charged with a third degree felony, which carries a two to ten year prison penalty and additional fine of up to $10,000.
- Alvarado’s charge has since been elevated to a second degree felony in light of the newly effected legislation. A second degree felony holds a two to twenty year prison sentence with up to a $10,000 fine.
Other Hit-and-Runs Reported
- Stephanie Moore, also a Midland County resident, is being charged with a second degree felony for hitting and killing a woman on the highway and fleeing the scene. According to the investigation, the pedestrian did not have the right of way.
Damien Duron, also of Midland, was driving his SUV when he collided with a motorcyclist. Duron fled the scene on foot, leaving behind his 13-year-old passenger. Upon being arrested, police found Duron to have been intoxicated.
- The motorcyclist was killed instantly and pronounced dead at the scene. Duron is being charged with a felony second degree intoxicated manslaughter charge, and could face up to twenty years in prison.
Midland County Sees Increase in Hit-and-Runs
- According to Midland County police, the department has seen an increase in fatal hit and run accidents.
- Sheriff Gary Painter points out that motorists involved in crashes typically flee the scene because of drug possession, alcohol intoxication, outstanding warrants, or fear and confusion.
- “It’s the wrong thing to do, but they do that,” Painter said. Rather, those involved in an accident need to stay at the scene, call 911, or flag down a passing car for help.
Contact an Experienced Auto Accident Attorney
Our attorneys are available to respond to auto accidents at any hour, day or night. Our lawyers understand that the immediate acquisition, or acquiring, of evidence is paramount to understanding how the accident occurred. Remember, your choice does matter. Contact our offices– we are available 24/7, nights and weekends.
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULT
$1.8 MillionExpenses: $20,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $765,000.00 | Net to Client: $1 Million
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULTS
$2 MillionExpenses: $78,475.96 | Attorneys Fees: $850,087.96 | Net to Client: $1,071,436.00
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULT
$2.3 MillionExpenses: $200,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $900,000.00 | Net to Client: $1.2 Million