Texas Toddler Survives 15-Foot Fall From Window
About the Window Fall Incident
According to reports, the 2-year-old girl fell from a second-story apartment window at 194 Chambers Street, landing on the pavement below.
A man passing by the scene reported hearing a “thump” before seeing a screen fall followed by the toddler. Fortunately, the young girl survived the fall with a witness reporting the child was conscious and appeared alert following the fall.
Authorities were soon at the scene and the child was transported to the hospital. Authorities could not confirm the child’s condition. How the child managed to fall from the window is still unknown.
Window-Fall Injury Statistics
- A study published in the journal Pediatrics found that between 1990 and 2008, 98,415 children were treated in emergency rooms for injuries sustained after falling through windows.
- Data from the Pediatrics study suggests more than 5,000 children are injured in window fall-related events every year.
- 28-percent of children treated for window fall-related injuries require extended hospital stays.
- Every year, 15 to 20 children will die after falling through a window.
- Even a fall of 10 feet can result in head trauma, spinal injuries, and paralysis.