Thanksgiving Travel Safety Tips
AAA estimates that about 42.5 million people will travel more than 50 miles for Thanksgiving this year. When that many people flood the roadways, the chances for an auto accident can be high. But not to worry- by following a few basic travel safety tips, you can ensure you and your loved ones will arrive safely to your Turkey Day destination, no matter how far you have to travel to get there.
“The roads will be crowded with holiday travelers, particularly the day before and the Sunday following Thanksgiving,” a TxDOT spokesman stated. “Be cautious and plan ahead. We want each and every citizen to arrive his or her destination safely.”
Thanksgiving Weekend Crash Statistics
Information below provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
- During the 2009 Thanksgiving weekend 303 passenger vehicle occupants died in motor vehicle traffic crashes.
- About of 50% of those who died were not wearing their seatbelts.
- Research shows that when seatbelts are used properly, the risk of fatal injury to front seat passenger car occupants is reduced by 45% and the risk of moderate to serious injury is reduced by 50%.
Travel Safety Tips for Thanksgiving Weekend
- Get Your Vehicle Travel-Ready– Fill up on gas, check fluid levels, and make sure tires are aired up before you leave town.
- Plan Your Route– Plan your route ahead of time, but also have a backup plan in case of road closures or other delays.
- Leave Early– If possible, avoid driving on the heaviest travel days (Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday).
- Keep an Eye on the Sky– Check the weather before you hit the road. Allow extra time for bad weather.
- Buckle Up– Drivers and passengers should keep their seatbelts fastened, even on long trips.
- Be Patient – Allow enough time to reach your destination without speeding or breaking any other traffic laws.
- Avoid Aggressive Drivers– Crowded roads can breed aggressive drivers. Try to avoid these drivers if you can, and do not engage in any aggressive behaviors of your own.
Thomas J. Henry Personal Injury Attorneys
Thomas J. Henry is a personal injury law firm with offices in Corpus Christi, Texas and Houston, Texas representing accident victims nationwide. Our priority is to provide our clients with the best legal representation. Our experienced trial attorneys are committed to defending your rights in personal injury matters including defective products and medical malpractice. Contact our offices, 24/7, nights and weekends.
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULT
$1.8 MillionExpenses: $20,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $765,000.00 | Net to Client: $1 Million
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULTS
$2 MillionExpenses: $78,475.96 | Attorneys Fees: $850,087.96 | Net to Client: $1,071,436.00
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULT
$2.3 MillionExpenses: $200,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $900,000.00 | Net to Client: $1.2 Million