That Text Message Could Kill
In 2008, over 1 trillion text messages were sent. In the same year, over 6,000 people died and many more were injured due to distracted driving.
Even though a few cities in the country have started to enforce no texting while driving laws, it is estimated that the number of deaths and injuries due to distracted driving will continue to increase.
Texting While Driving Statistics
- Texting while driving increases the risk of accident 23.2 times over unimpaired driving.
- Texting while driving results in longer response times than even drunken driving. While an unimpaired driver can respond quickly to changes in traffic and begin braking within half a second, a legally drunk driver needs four additional feet to begin braking—and a driver who’s texting needs 70.
- In the moments before a crash or near crash, drivers typically spend nearly five seconds looking at their mobile devices—enough time at typical highway speeds to cover more area than the length of a football field.
- Though 95 percent of drivers surveyed said texting behind the wheel was unacceptable and unsafe, at least 21 percent admit to doing it anyway.
- Especially amongst teens, texting results in erratic driving behavior, like lane weaving and speeding up and down, increasing the likelihood of hurting pedestrians and running into other vehicles.
- Texting behind the wheel is generational: 37 percent of drivers 18 to 27 admit to texting while driving, compared to 14 percent of 28 to 44 year olds, and 2 percent of 45 to 60 year olds.
- An accident can happen in two to three seconds while texting.
A Family’s Warning Against Texting While Driving
When Alex Brown’s mother found her unconscious in her battered truck, her cell phone was still ringing with text messages. Alex was involved in numerous text messages right before the accident.
Alex Brown’s family now travels to different schools in Texas telling students about the dangers of texting while driving. Te read more about their mission, click here.
Contact an Experienced Distracted Driving Attorney
If you suspect you have been injured because of a distracted driver, contact Thomas J. Henry for immediate assistance. We have built a reputation for innovative investigations, creative litigation and maximum results for our clients.
We pride ourselves in our client satisfaction. Contact us to schedule an appointment that works with your schedule. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULT
$1.8 MillionExpenses: $20,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $765,000.00 | Net to Client: $1 Million
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULTS
$2 MillionExpenses: $78,475.96 | Attorneys Fees: $850,087.96 | Net to Client: $1,071,436.00
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULT
$2.3 MillionExpenses: $200,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $900,000.00 | Net to Client: $1.2 Million