Contact us 24/7
View all

Toddler Sustains Second-Degree Burns at Calallen Daycare

Tina Robinson2 years ago

A young boy suffered serious burn injuries last Thursday at a Calallen daycare, according to Kiii News. As of Friday, the boy remained hospitalized with second-degree burns.

About the Daycare Burn Accident

11-month-old Maverick Chism sustained second-degree burns last week when he pulled on a crock pot cord causing it to fall on him, said his mother Winter Chism. Chism said her son had been enrolled at A-Plus Daycare and Learning Center in Calallen for two weeks when the accident happened.

“They told me word for word that they sat him down so that he could eat and they didn't realize that the crock pot was too close,” Chism told reporters. “He grabbed the crock pot and it fell on him.” Surveillance footage reviewed by police confirmed the accident happened as described.

Maverick sustained second-degree burns to 20 percent of his body, including his left leg, arm, and chest. His mother on Friday said he was in a lot of pain and had to be medicated.

Child Burn Injury Prevention

According to the Child Injury Prevention Alliance (CIPA), young children are more at risk for burn injuries. Because their skin is thinner than adults, young children’s skin can burn more deeply and at lower temperatures. CIPA makes the following recommendations to prevent burn and scald injuries.

  • Keep hot foods and drinks out of children’s reach.
  • Make sure appliance cords are out of reach of children.
  • Cover electrical outlets when not in use.
  • Water heater thermostats should be set no higher than 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Keep items such as matches, lighters, gasoline and chemicals locked up.

HAVE YOU BEEN INJURED?

If you’ve been injured, we can help. Contact us