Toddler’s Death Results in Blinds Recall
Details of the Child’s Death
A 22-month old boy in Cedar Falls, Iowa was found hanging by his neck from the outer pull cords of a Roman shade in May 2010.
The accident was caused when the outer pull cords knotted at the bottom. The boy was rescued by his father but died later in the hospital.
Products Covered Roman Shades Recall
The recall involves the following types of shades:
- Roman shades with inner cords
- All styles of roll-up blinds
- Roller blinds that do not have a tension device
About the Roman Shade Strangulation Hazard
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), strangulations can occur when a child places his or her neck between the exposed inner cord and the fabric on the backside of the blinds or when a child pulls the cord out and wraps it around his or her neck.
Consumers should immediately stop using all Roman shades with inner cords, all roll up blinds and all other roller blinds that do not have a tension device and contact the Window Covering Safety Council at 800-506-4636 for free repair kits.