Topical Pain Relievers May Cause Burns
According to the FDA, there have been 43 reported cases of consumers being chemically burned by the use of over-the-counter topical muscle and joint pain relievers. Consumers who experience burning pain or blistering when applying these products should seek medical attention immediately.
What is Causing the Burns?
- According to the FDA, the burns were associated with topical pain relievers containing the active ingredients menthol, methyl salicylate and capsaicin.
- Most of the more severe burns were associated with menthol or menthol/methyl salicylate. Most involved products with greater than 3% menthol or 10% methyl salicylate. Few involved capsaicin.
- The number of cases is small compared to the number of people who purchase these products.
- Menthol, methyl salicylate and capsaicin were designed to create sensations of local warmth or coolness, but should not burn.
- The over-the-counter pain relievers include creams, lotions, ointments and patches. It includes the brands: Icy hot, Bengay, Capzasin, Flexall, and Mentholatum.
Safety Tips for Consumers
(Information provided by the FDA.)
- Don’t apply the product to damage or irritated skin.
- Don’t apply bandages to the area where you’ve applied the reliever.
- Don’t apply heat to the area where you applied the pain reliever.
- Don’t allow the products to come in contact with eyes and mucous membranes.
- While warming and cooling sensations are normal, watch for actual pain or signs of blistering or burning.
- Report unexpected side effects from the use of pain relievers to the FDA MedWatch Program.
Thomas J. Henry Personal Injury Attorneys
Thomas J. Henry is a personal injury law firm with offices in Corpus Christi, Texas, San Antonio, Texas and Houston, Texas representing accident victims nationwide. Our priority is to provide our clients with the best legal representation. Our experienced trial attorneys are committed to defending your rights in personal injury matters including defective products, recalled drugs, child injuries, and auto accidents.
If you or someone you love has been injured in an accident, contact our offices immediately – we are available 24/7, nights and weekends.