Tuberculosis Exposure in Nevada Causes Widespread Testing
After a mother and her infant twins died from tuberculosis, a Nevada neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) is urging a widespread TB testing of all of its babies, family members, and staff who were in the facility anytime in summer of 2013. Extra precautions are being taken to curb what could become an outbreak.
Tuberculosis in the Nevada NICU
- Fox News reports that the facility sought to test 140 infants in its care, as well as their parents, who were in the NICU between mid-May and mid-August 2013.
- According to test results of hospital staff, friends, family, and family of the deceased mother, 26 people have been infected with TB, albeit latent infections.
- All 26 people are being treated.
Mother and Twins Died from Tuberculosis
- The mother gave birth to extremely premature twins in early May 2013.
- She was sick before and after the children's birth; she died in August 2013 and she had tuberculosis meningitis.
- It is believe she contracted the disease after drinking unpasteurized milk from Latin America.
- The first twin was three weeks old when she died due to respiratory failure and being extremely premature; she was never tested for TB.
- The second twin was tested and treated for TB, but eventually died from the disease in August 2013.
Symptoms, Causes, and Effects of Tuberculosis
- TB is quite rare in the United States; most cases of infections are in those born overseas.
- The illness is airborne and spread from coughing, sneezing, or talking.
- Symptoms include coughing, fever, chest pain, and fatigue.
- TB can be fatal if not properly treated; 596 counted deaths occurred from TB in 2010.
Contact an Experienced Medical Malpractice Attorney
Thomas J. Henry Injury Attorneys are leaders in the area of medical malpractice litigation. We have extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively. We represent clients/victims all over the country.
If you or a loved one have been injured due to medical malpractice, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57