Two Dead in Lewisville Motorcycle Accident
About the Motorcycle Accident
According to CBS-DFW News, witnesses reported the motorcycle was traveling at a high rate of speed.
As the motorcycle weaved through traffic on Interstate 35 East in Lewisville, the driver lost control in the southbound lane shortly before 9 p.m., causing him to crash into the guardrail.
The driver and passenger of the motorcycle were not wearing helmets and later died at the scene of the accident. The deceased have not yet been identified by authorities.
Motorcycle Accident Statistics
The Following Information is provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
- Motorcycle helmet use remained at 60% in 2013 unchanged from 2012.
- In 2012, 4,957 motorcyclists were killed.
- Texas does not require motorcyclists to wear helmets.
- NHTSA estimates that helmets saved the lives of 1,699 motorcyclists in 2012.
- In 2012, 41% of fatally injured motorcycle riders and 53% of fatally injured motorcycle passengers were not wearing helmets at the time of the crash.
- Speeding was a prevalent factor in 30% of all motor vehicle related crashes in 2012.
- In 2012, 34% of all motorcycle riders involved in fatal crashes were speeding.