Two Killed in Fiery Texas Interstate Crash
About the Crash
According to the San Antonio Express-News, the accident occurred around 4:30 am near Nashville where I-30 crosses over County Road 2148.
The sheriff’s deputies reported that the 18-wheeler was hauling cars eastbound on I-30 when it ran off the overpass.
The 18-wheeler then fell onto the county road below and caught fire. The victim’s names have not yet been released.
Texas Auto Accident Statistics
Following information provided by the Texas Department of Transportation:
- In 2012 the fatality rate on Texas roadways was 1.41 deaths per hundred million miles traveled.
- There was an increase in the number of traffic fatalities from 2011 to 2012 in Texas. The death toll increased by 10.82% in 2012, from 3,067 deaths in 2011 to 3,399 deaths in 2012.
- There were 63,610 serious injury crashes in 2012 and 87,087 people sustaining serious injuries.
- In 2012:
- 1 person was killed every 2 hours and 35 minutes.
- 1 person was injured every 2 minutes and 17 seconds.
- 1 reportable crash occurred every 75 seconds.
- 1,099 people were killed in motor vehicle accidents where the driver was under the influence of alcohol. More alcohol crashes were reported in the hour between 2am and 3am than any other hour of the day.