Two Multistate Fungal Outbreaks Linked to Compounding Pharmacy
Two separate outbreaks of fungal endophthalmitis have been linked to contaminated products manufactured and distributed by Ocala, Florida compounding pharmacy.
Details the Fungal Endophthalmitis Outbreak
- According to the Medscape, 47 cases spanning nine states have been linked to two compound drugs manufactured by Frank’s Compounding Lab – Brilliant Blue G dye (BBG) and triamcinolone acetonide for intravitreal injection.
- In the case of BBG, nine patients who had undergone pars plana vitrectomies at the same Los Angeles County ambulatory surgical center between October and December of 2011 have developed fungal endophthalmitis.
- Testing of an unopened vial of BBG revealed the product was contaminated with Fusarium.
- The triamcinolone was determined to be contaminated with Bipolaris hawaiiensis, a rare environmental mold.
What is Endophthalmitis?
- Endophthalmitis is inflammation in the intraocular cavity of the eye which can be brought about by a number of pathogens both bacterial and fungal.
- While bacterial endophthalmitis is relatively common, fungal endophthalmitis is extremely rare and can be hard to detect.
- Most often, fungal endophthalmitis is not diagnosed until a patient showing endophthalmitis symptoms does not respond to anti-bacterial therapy – by this time, the condition can have resulted in devastating, irreversible vision loss.
Contact an Experienced Product Liability Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of drug and product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division have extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively. The Defective Drug and Products Division represent a multitude of people who are battling against manufacturers of medical devices and/ or defective pharmaceuticals.
If you or a loved one have been injured by or have developed serious side-effects from the use of defective medications or pharmaceuticals, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. We represent clients/victims all over the country. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.