Two Texas Brothers Drown in Family Pool
According to Houston Police, two brothers drowned while playing in their family pool last Thursday.
About the Houston Swimming Pool Accident
The boys’ mother was out running errands at the time of the incident. She put the family’s nanny in charge of the two boys and their 12-year-old sister.
When the boys went underwater and failed to come back up, the young girl ran up to a Harris County Deputy Constable and told him that her brothers were drowning. The police officer retrieved one of the boys from the water, and the nanny pulled out the other.
The boys were rushed to a hospital, where they were later pronounced dead.
National Drowning Statistics
The following information has been provided by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- About 10 people die from unintentional drowning every day.
- About one-fifth of drowning victims are 14 years of age or younger.
- For every child that dies from drowning, five more are hospitalized.
- Drowning is the fifth leading cause of unintentional death in the U.S.
- Children ages 1 to 4 are most at risk for drowning.
- Most drowning deaths for children ages 1 to 4 occur in a home swimming pool.