U.S. Department of Justice Sues PharMerica
According to Reuters, PharMerica Corp is being sued by the U.S. Government for allegedly dispensing controlled drugs without requiring prescriptions, and for making fraudulent claims to Medicare.
Original PharMerica Whistleblower Lawsuit
- PharMerica’s actions were originally brought to attention when a former employee, Jennifer Buth, filed a whistleblower lawsuit against the company in 2009.
- Jennifer Buth, named Jennifer Denk at the time the lawsuit was opened, claimed that between 2007 and 2009 PharMerica issued pharmaceutical drugs without valid prescriptions and filed over 250 fraudulent Medicare claims in correlation to the illegally dispensed drugs.
The Department of Justice Joins Lawsuit
“Pharmacies are prohibited by law from dispensing Schedule II narcotics, which have the highest potential for abuse of any prescription drug, without a valid prescription from a physician.” – Stuart Delery, Justice Department as published by Reuters.
- The U.S. Department of Justice joined the lawsuit Friday.
- The Department of Justice alleges that PharMerica dispensed Schedule II drugs which can easily be abused and may cause significant harm if used improperly.
- The Department of Justice claims that the company would allow nursing home staff to order the drugs and pharmacists to dispense the drugs before confirming they were necessary for treatment.
- PharMerica now faces civil penalties and civil fines under the Federal False Claims Act ant the Controlled Substance Act.
Contact an Experienced Product Liability Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of drug and product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division have extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively. The Defective Drug and Products Division represent a multitude of people who are battling against manufacturers of medical devices and/ or defective pharmaceuticals.
If you or a loved one have been injured by or have developed serious side-effects from the use of defective medications or medical devices, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. We represent clients/victims all over the country. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.