Water Safety Tips for Summertime
Summertime is officially here, ad that usually means that children and adults will be spending a lot more time outdoors and near the water.
Important Information about Swimming and Water Safety
According to the American Red Cross, swimming is the most popular summer activity in the United States, and the best thing one can do to encourage family safety around swimming pools and water is to enroll in age-appropriate swim lessons.
The American Red Cross recommends that families should take the following safety tips into consideration:
- Do your best to makes sure that everyone in the family can swim well and is comfortable in the water.
- Always swim with another person – never alone.
- Only swim in designated area as supervised by lifeguards.
- Young children and inexperienced drivers should always wear US Coast Guard-approved life jackets in and around the water.
- Always be careful around natural bodies of water like the ocean shoreline, currents, and cold temperatures.
The American Red Cross makes it clear that the biggest way to prevent injury or death is to prevent unsupervised access to water.