Woman Assumed Dead After Falling from Commercial Raft
Fremont County Police Investigate the Fatal Accident
Fremont County Sheriff Department’s Sargent Megan Richards has stated that the victim of the fatal rafting accident is a woman around 40-years-old who has not yet been identified. The woman was on a trip with a commercial rafting company when the incident occurred.
After falling off of the raft traveling west of Cannon City last Sunday, the woman was pronounced dead. The cause of her death, as well as all other details about the incident, have not yet been released to the public.
Rafting Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by American Whitewater:
- 783 white water rafting fatalities were reported between 1975 and 2011
- 17.6% of the 783 fatalities were due to flush drowning
- 8.6% were due to a low head dam
- Being washed over a waterfall made up 2.0% of the fatalities
- 4.0% of the fatalities resulted from head injury and heart attacks