Jury Awards $28 Million in Molestation Case
A woman who was molested multiple times as a child has been awarded $28,000,001 in a lawsuit against a church member as well as multiple official affiliates of the church. The woman participates in psychological counseling and suffers from chronic anxiety, depression, and severe post-traumatic stress disorder due to the consequences of the abuse.
Details of the Molestation Case
- The plaintiff was between the ages of 9 and 10 when allegedly molested multiple times by this fellow congregant. She contended that on several occasions she was driven to the defendant’s home where the act would occur, and then back to her home or to the church.
- The plaintiff discussed several public church functions where the defendant would act inappropriately with her i.e.: giving her bear-hugs and having her sit on his lap. The plaintiff argued that the church was aware of the defendant’s actions and failed to notify the congregation or take action against it.
- The church contended it was not liable for the actions of the defendant, as the incidents reported were not held on church grounds nor was the defendant a church official. The church also argued with the plaintiff’s parents, police department, and Child Protective Services, stating that during all the functions in which these acts occurred, a parent was always present, and no one took notice or notified the church of anything.
The Jury Awards $28 Million
- The jury found 60% liability against the defendant, 27% against the church official affiliations and representatives, and 13% against the church itself.
- $21 Million was awarded in Personal Injury: Punitive Exemplary Damages.
- $130,000 was awarded in Personal Injury: future counseling.
- $6,870,000 was awarded in Personal Injury: non-economic damages.
Contact an Experienced Child Injury Attorney
If you believe your child has suffered from physical or sexual abuse, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. We have the knowledge and experience to handle your child’s case. We will also take immediate action to prevent any further mistreatment.
Our attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. Your choice does matter. Contact our offices for immediate assistance.
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57