Worker Dies at FedEx World Hub
Details of the Fatal FedEx Accident
According to WAFF, 19-year-old Chandler Warren was killed in an industrial accident at FedEx’s world hub on Democrat Road in Memphis.
While the cause of the young man’s death has not been confirmed, sources at the scene of the accident said a loader used to lift containers onto aircraft collapsed.
The Memphis Fire Department received a call concerning the accident around 2:53 am. Warren was rushed to Regional Medical Center in critical condition shortly after but later died from his injuries.
Tennessee OSHA are investigating the incident and stated that another employee died at the facility in 2005. It could be six months before the investigation is complete.
Warren worked two jobs while attending Southwest Community College.
On the Job Injury Statistics
Following information provided by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA):
- 4,628 workers lost their lives in workplace accidents in 2012.
- This averages to 89 deaths a week or more than 12 deaths a day.
- 4,175 worker deaths occurred in private industry
- Standard violation most often cited by OSHA include:
- Fall protection
- Hazard communication standard
- Scaffolding requirements
- Respiratory protection
- Electrical, wiring methods
- Powered industrial trucks
- Control of hazardous energy
- Electrical systems design
- Machinery and machine guarding