Worker Dies in Arlington Construction Accident
Details of the Fatal Construction Accident
According to WUSA-9, the 45-year-old man was operating a large excavator at a residential construction site when the equipment tipped over, killing him.
Authorities responded to the incident around 3:30 pm. Fire officials state the man was pronounced dead at the scene.
Investigators believe the equipment may have been in the lifting something when it became unstable and tipped over.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) is investigating the man’s death. This is the second incident to occur at the site in the past two months.
Construction Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA):
- In 2012, 4,628 workers were killed on the job.
- This averages to 89 deaths a week or more than 12 deaths every day.
- 4,175 of these fatalities occurred in the private industry, and nearly 20 percent occurred in the construction industry.
- On average, 437 construction fatalities are linked to the “fatal four” every year:
- Falls were responsible for 279 construction deaths in 2012
- Struck by object – 79
- Electrocutions – 66
- Caught-in/between – 13