Worker Killed at Airport Construction Site
About the Lindbergh Field Accident
An ABC affiliate reports that authorities received a call concerning the incident around 8:45 Tuesday morning.
Authorities were told that a crew member was struck by falling rebar at the airport’s new Rental Car Center construction site, near the intersection of Pacific Highway and West Washington Street.
Medics attempted to revive and treat the man, but he was pronounced dead at the scene.
Fox 5 San Diego identified the victim as an employee of Sundt Joint Venture, the contractor on the project.
Construction Accident Statistics
Following information provided by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA):
- In 2012, 4,628 workers suffered fatal injuries while on the job. That is the equivalent of 89 deaths a week or nearly 12 deaths every day.
- 806 of those deaths were recorded in the construction industry.
- Among the most common causes of death in the construction industry are:
- Struck by object
- OHSA investigates all fatal on the job accidents, but other violations may be hard to detect as OSHA and their state partners only have around 2,200 inspectors.
- That is about one inspector for every 59,000 workers.