Worker Killed in Longmeadow Construction Accident
A construction worker died Friday after becoming trapped inside a trench at a Longmeadow, Massachusetts job site.
Details of the Fatal Construction Accident
WFSB reports the man was working in a trench as part of a sewer project on Hazardville Road when a water main broke. The break caused the trench to fill with water and the man was unable to escape.
Crews responded to the scene around 7:45 am, but it took until noon for the crews to recover the man’s body.
Officials are unsure what caused the main to break, and the incident remains under investigation.
Reports indicate the man was employee of Ludlow-based A. Martins and Sons. The company had been contracted by Longmeadow to complete the project.
Construction Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA):
- 4,585 people were killed in on the job accidents in 2013 – this averages to 88 deaths per week or more than 12 deaths every day.
- Of those, 4,101 occurred in private industry and 828 were associated with construction.
- The leading causes of death in the construction industry in 2013 were:
- Falls – 302 deaths
- Struck by object – 84 deaths
- Electrocutions – 71 deaths
- Caught-in/between – 21 deaths