Details of the Fatal Trucking Accident
Just before 10 PM, driver Julius Vann Cook and his passenger Marilyn Cook were traveling on US 231 when a large freightliner crashed into their Mercury sedan.
Julius Cook was pronounced dead at the site of the crash, and Marilyn Cook was transported to the hospital in critical condition. The truck driver, Florida resident Tyrone Corbin, was not reported to have sustained any injuries during the wreck.
The Alabama Highway Patrol’s investigation into the incident is still ongoing – no criminal charges have been filed as of yet.
Tractor-Trailer Accident Statistics
- According to US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) statistics, over 3,000 people were killed and another 100,000 sustained injury in crashes involving large trucks in 2012.
- Alabama ranks 10th in the nation for frequency of large truck crash fatalities.
- Accident fatalities involving large trucks have increased by 4 percent nationally.
- On average, large trucks were more likely to be involved in fatal multi-vehicle crashes than passenger vehicles.
- Over 15 percent of all large truck drivers who were in these fatal crashes had at least one previous speeding conviction.