1 Dead, 2 Injured in Karnes County Collision
A 53-year-old oil field worker was killed Monday afternoon in a head-on collision near Kenedy, Texas.
Details of the Fatal Karnes County Accident
According to KRIS-TV, Juan Beltran of Bishop, Texas was traveling along Highway 792 in a Ford pick-up when it was struck by another vehicle on Monday.
Reports indicate that the driver of the other vehicle collided with the guard rail before veering into oncoming traffic. Police suspect the driver may have been under the influence or fatigued.
Beltran was pronounced dead at the scene. Two of his coworkers, Benjamin Rodriguez, 32, and Daniel Rodriguez, 23, of Corpus Christi were rushed to a San Antonio hospital where they remain in serious condition.
Texas Auto Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,377 people lost their lives in traffic collisions along Texas roadways in 2013. This marks a 1.05 percent decrease from 2012 when 3,413 deaths were recorded.
- 55.76 percent of those fatalities occurred in rural areas, and 523 deaths were attributed to head-on collisions.
- An additional 232,041 people were injured in Texas auto accidents in 2013 with 89,270 people sustaining serious injury.
- Using available data, TxDOT estimates that:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident in Texas ever 2 hours and 36 minutes.
- One person was injured every 2 minutes and 16 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 71 seconds.
- There were no deathless days on Texas roads in 2013.