1 Dead, 2 Injured in Mesquite Pile-Up
Details of the Fatal Mesquite Accident
According to the Dallas Morning News, the fatal chain-reaction crash happened around 2:30 pm when a 2013 Freightliner rear-ended a 2009 Cadillac CTS in the westbound lanes of Interstate 30, near Northwest Drive.
The force of the initial impact sent the Cadillac forward into a Kia Soul which then struck a Chevrolet pickup. The pickup then hit a Chevrolet Trailblazer.
The driver of the Cadillac, identified as Jason Dwire, 42, was rushed to a nearby hospital where he died. Two other people were also hospitalized following the crash; fortunately, their injuries are not considered life-threatening.
Westbound lanes of the highway were closed for about five hours as crews cleared the scene. The accident remains under investigation.
Texas Trucking Accident Statistics
- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) recorded 438,000 trucking accidents in the U.S. in 2014.
- These accidents result in 3,903 deaths and 111,000 injuries.
- Of those killed in trucking accidents:
- 17 percent were occupants of large trucks
- 73 percent were occupants of other vehicles
- 10 percent were listed as nonoccupants, including bicyclists and pedestrians
- Texas led the nation in trucking accident fatalities with 553 trucking-related deaths reported. California followed Texas with 300 recorded deaths.