1 Dead in Callahan County Crash
A two vehicle crash in Callahan County, Texas claimed the life of a Montgomery resident early Monday morning.
About the Fatal Callahan County Crash
According to reports, Jonah Wayne Neal, 32, was killed when his 18-wheeler crashed into another tractor-trailer that had previously jackknifed and was blocking the highway.
The accident occurred on State Highway 36 roughly 12 miles south of Baird around 12:40 am.
The driver of the other semi was treated and the scene and released. The accident remains under investigation.
Trucking Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 3,903 people were fatally injured in trucking accidents in 2014, marking a slight decrease from the 3,981 deaths recorded in 2013.
- Of those killed in 2014:
- 17 percent were occupants of large trucks
- 73 percent were occupants of other vehicles
- 10 percent were nonoccupants, including pedestrians and bicyclists
- Texas led the nation in trucking accident death in 2014 with 553 trucking-related fatalities recorded. California followed Texas with 300 deaths.
Do you really want to end conversation?