About the Corpus Christi Motorcycle Accident
According to KIII News, the 50-year-old man was killed last Thursday while he was driving on Nueces Bay Causeway.
Police report that another motorcyclist lost control of his bike and spun out causing a Dodge Charger to slam on his brakes to avoid the motorcyclist. The 50-year-old then crashed into the rear end of the Dodge Charger, which threw his body over the Causeway, and into the water.
A kayaker was able to pull the man from the water, but the victim later died of his injuries.
Police have yet to close the case.
Statistics on Motorcycle Accidents
The following information comes from the National Highway Traffic Safety Admission (NHTSA):
- There were 4,668 motorcyclists killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes in 2013.
- There were an estimated 88,000 motorcyclist injuries in 2013.
- Motorcyclists accounted for 14 percent of all traffic fatalities, and 4 percent of all people injured.
- Twenty-five percent of motorcycle riders involved in fatal crashes were riding their vehicles without valid motorcycle licenses.
- Motorcycle riders involved in fatal crashes were found to have the highest percentage of alcohol-impaired drivers than any other vehicle type (27% for motorcycles, 23% for passenger cars, 21% for light trucks, and 2% for large trucks).