1 Killed, 2 Injured in Dump Truck Crash
Details of the Fatal Dump Truck Crash
According to Lancaster Online, the collision occurred along Route 222 between Lancaster and Quarryville.
Upon arriving, responders found the driver of the pickup, Kevin Grove, 34, and a female passenger of the pickup unconscious. Grove was extracted from the vehicle and rushed to Lancaster General Hospital with serious injuries. The female passenger was pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver of the dump truck, Michael Martin, 35, was also transported to Lancaster General Hospital, though his injuries were not considered serious.
State police are investigating the crash. The cause of the accident remains uncertain.
Trucking Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 3,903 people were killed in trucking accidents in 2014, marking a slight decrease from the 3,981 deaths reported in 2013.
- Of those killed in trucking accidents in 2014:
- 17 percent were occupants of large trucks
- 73 percent were occupants of other vehicles
- 10 percent were nonoccupants including pedestrians and pedalcyclists
- An additional 111,000 people were injured in trucking accidents in 2014.