1 Killed, 3 Injured in Upton County Crash
One person was killed Monday morning and three others were injured as a result of a multi-vehicle accident in Upton County.
About the Fatal Collision
According to NewsWest 9, the accident occurred on Highway 349 roughly 28 miles north of Rankin.
Reports from DPS Troopers suggest two tractor-trailers had crashed on Highway 349 around 6 am, blocking the northbound lane.
A 2007 Toyota Corolla traveling in the northbound lane attempted to avoid the 18-wheelers but collided head-on with a 2014 Ford pickup after veering into the southbound lane. The driver of the Toyota, Alfredo Torrez, 52, died at the scene.
Three occupants of the pickup, Octavio Herrera, 19, Angel Herrera, 19, and Rigoberto Herrera, 30, were injured in the collision and transported to Midland Memorial Hospital for treatment.
The incident remains under investigation.
Texas Auto Accident Statistics
- According to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), 3,377 people lost their lives in traffic collisions in 2013.
- 3,413 traffic related deaths were recorded in 2012.
- 1,883 traffic death occurred in rural areas in 2013 and 523 people were killed in head-on collisions.
- An additional 232,041 people were injured in auto accidents in 2013.
- 89,270 people suffered serious injuries.