11-year-old Girl Killed in Crash involving Tractor-trailer
Fatal Trucking Accident under Investigation
A Dodge Caravan and a semi-truck were traveling east on Interstate 40 near Sandy Ridge Road at around 4:40 a.m. local time when the fatal accident happened. Officials say the two vehicles crashed into each other, causing the van to drive off the roadway.
WNCN reports that the Dodge minivan rolled several times off the right side of the interstate, ejecting a female child. The 11-year-old girl died from her injuries sustained in the crash. Officials reports that Carlton Bannerman, 34, was the driver of the van.
Officials are investigating the fatal incident, but impairment does not appear to be a factor. According to WNCN, the fatal crash is the 24th deadly motor vehicle crash in Greensboro this year.
Trucking Accident Statistics
The following information regarding truck crashes is provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 3,903 people died in crashes involving large trucks in 2014.
- An estimated 111,000 people suffered injuries in crashes involving large trucks in 2014.
- 74 percent of the people injured in these accidents were occupants of other vehicles.
- An estimated 438,000 large trucks were involved in police-reported traffic crashes during 2014.
- In 2014, large trucks accounted for 8 percent of all vehicles involved in fatal crashes.