15-year-old Pedestrian Suffers from Head, Torso Injuries after Hit by Car
Details of the Pedestrian Accident
Police say the 15-year-old was spotted standing near Westbrook Drive, waiting at a crosswalk to cross Witzel Avenue. The girl attempted to cross the street and was struck by a car and truck.
The girl sustained injuries to her head and torso and received treatment at a local hospital, reports NBC26. The girl has since been stabilized and is recovering in the hospital.
Neither driver was injured in the crash. Police have not issued citations as the investigation into the incident is ongoing, according to NBC26.
Pedestrian Accident Statistics
The following information is provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- In 2015, 35,092 people died in crashes on United States roadways.
- Pedestrian fatalities increased by 466 – or a 9.5 percent increase from 2014.
- 5,375 pedestrians died in 2015 – the highest number of pedestrian fatalities since 1996.
- Police-reported crashes increased by 3.8 percent from 6 million in 2014 to 6.3 million in 2015.
- 70,000 pedestrians sustained injuries in traffic crashes in 2015.