Police in Dallas arrested a 19-year-old after a fatal car crash that left a man dead.
Details of the Fatal Dallas Collision
NBC-DFW reports Juan Segura-Mendez, 19, was taken into custody following a fatal collision in the 2200 block of South Buckner Boulevard.
Police say Segura-Mendez was driving a Dodge pickup on South Buckner Boulevard when he struck a Chevrolet Silverado towing an empty trailer as it attempted a left turn off Cordell Drive. The impact of the collision caused the trailer to swing around and strike a pedestrian in a wheelchair that was crossing Cordell Drive.
The pedestrian was rushed to an area hospital but later died of his injuries.
Segura-Mendez was determined to be intoxicated and was arrested on an intoxication manslaughter charge.
Texas Drunk Driving Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,896 people were killed in Texas crashes in 2020, marking a 7.54% increase from the 3,623 deaths reported in 2019.
- 865 of the traffic deaths reported in 2020 were the result of crashes that occurred at or in relation to an intersection.
- 958 people were killed in crashes involving a driver that was under the influence of alcohol.
- An additional 205,498 people were injured in crashes in 2020 with 14,656 people suffering a serious injury.
- Based on reportable crash data for the year:
- One person was killed in a car crash every 2 hours 15 minutes
- One person was injured in a car crash every 2 minutes 34 seconds
- A reportable crash occurred every 1 minute 7 seconds
Speak with an Experienced Dallas Car Accident Attorney
If you were injured or lost a loved one to a car crash in Dallas, call Thomas J. Henry Law for a FREE Case Review.
For more than 25 years, our law firm has represented clients in Dallas and across Texas. Over that time, we have secured meaningful compensation for people injured in car crashes and other kinds of traffic accidents. We can help you deal with the stress and uncertainty following your crash or loss of a loved one.
We are available 24/7, nights and weekends. Call now to speak with an experienced Dallas car accident lawyer.