Details of the Fatal Collision
According to CBS 4 News, the fatal crash occurred on FM 88, near Mile 21 Road, shortly after 10:15 pm.
A preliminary investigation suggests a silver Land Rover SUV was traveling northbound on FM 88 when the driver drifted off the right side of the road and hit a mailbox. The driver then overcorrected, traveled into the southbound lane, and struck a silver Ford Expedition.
Eduardo Mendoza, 25, of Edinburg, and Myra Belcher, 56, of Weslaco, were both pronounced dead at the scene.
The crash is still under investigation.
Texas Head-On Collision Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,773 people were killed in traffic accidents in Texas in 2016, marking a 5.45% increase from the 3,578 deaths recorded in 2015.
- 638 of the deaths recorded in 2016 were attributed to head-on collision.
- An additional 265,076 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2016.
- Based on reportable crash data for 2016:
- One person was killed every 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- One person was injured every 1 minute and 59 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 57 seconds.
Contact an Experienced Auto Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced car accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Austin, and Houston, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.