2 Dead in Roberts County Collision
Two people are dead following a head-on collision in Roberts County, roughly 25 miles north of Pampa, Texas.
About the Fatal Pampa Accident
According to the Pampa News, two vehicles were involved in a fatal traffic accident along State Highway 70 in Roberts County last Tuesday.
Reports indicate that around 6:45 am, a 2013 Dodge Stratus driven by 23-year-old Jorge Avalos was traveling south along the highway when, for unknown reasons, the vehicle crossed over the median and struck a 2013 Chrysler sedan.
Both Avalos and the driver of the Chrysler, 50-year-old Sharon Sweat, were killed in the accident. Fire fighters had to use the “jaws of life” to extricate the victims from their vehicles.
Both lanes were closed for roughly half an hour as police cleared wreckage and debris from the scene. Authorities are still investigating the accident.
Texas Car Crash Statistics
- The Texas Department of Transportation reported a 10.82 percent increase in the number of traffic fatalities recorded in 2012 over 2011, with a total of 3,399 reported deaths occurring over the year.
- Another 230,506 people suffered injuries due to auto accidents, with 63,610 crash victims sustaining serious injuries.
- 533 of the reported deaths were attributed to head-on collisions. 1,892 deaths occurred along rural stretches of road.
- Based on this data, the Texas Department of Transportation was able to conclude that:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident along Texas roadways every 2 hours and 35 minutes.
- One person was injured every 2 minutes and 17 seconds.
- One reportable crash occurred every 75 seconds.