About the Mount Pleasant School Bus Crash
According to KETK-TV, the crash occurred around 10:30 pm Thursday night on Highway 271 about a mile south of Talco. Preliminary reports indicate a tractor-trailer that was traveling northbound on Highway 271 drifted into the southbound lane, colliding with a school bus and a car that was following the bus.
The driver of the 18-wheeler and the driver of the car, identified as Mount Pleasant High School assistant girls track coach Angelica Beard, 30, were pronounced dead at the scene. About 20 others were transported to area hospitals.
The driver of the school bus and another coach were both listed in critical condition. Four school bus passengers sustained serious injuries while the remaining injuries were not considered life-threatening.
The crash remains under investigation.
Texas Trucking Accident Statistics
- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) recorded 438,000 trucking accidents in 2014.
- These crashes resulted in 3,903 deaths and 111,000 injuries.
- Of those killed:
- 17 percent were occupants of large trucks
- 73 percent were occupants of other vehicles
- 10 percent were nonoccupants, including pedestrians and pedalcyclists.
- Texas lead the nation in fatal trucking accidents, with 553 trucking-related fatalities reported. California followed Texas with 300 trucking-related deaths.