No Charges Pending, says Police
Samuel Brooks, 24, was traveling northbound on Highway 360 when he collided with the rear of an 18-wheeler. The Star-Telegram reports that Brooks’ Ford Focus became lodged under the 18-wheeler and was dragged until the truck came to a stop in the shoulder.
The accident occurred at approximately 3:25 a.m. near Trinity Boulevard. Highway 360 was shut down while police investigated the truck accident.
Brooks was transported to John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth where he was later pronounced dead, reports the Star-Telegram.
18-Wheeler Crash Statistics
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), 3,903 people were killed in crashes involving large trucks in 2014. Here is some additional information on 18-wheeler accidents:
- An estimated 111,000 people were injured in crashes involving large trucks in 2014.
- 74 percent of those injured were occupants of other vehicles.
- From 2013 to 2014, there was a 19-percent increase in the number of injured occupants of other vehicles involved in crashes with large trucks.
- Seventy-nine percent of fatal crashes involving large trucks occurred on weekdays.
- Trucks were struck in the rear in twenty-one percent of fatal two-vehicle crashes in 2014.
- Sixty-one percent of the fatal crashes involving large trucks occurred in rural areas.