Weather Believed to be a Factor in Fatal Collision
KXAN reports that the crash occurred shortly after 8:00 am just a few miles south of Schulenburg.
A 2015 Lexus SUV was headed southbound on U.S. 77 when it lost control on the wet roadway and veered into oncoming traffic. It collided head-on with a 2014 Nissan pickup.
Both occupants of the Nissan were pronounced dead at the scene. They have been identified as Roger Cheney, 67, and Cynthia Cheney, 64. The passenger of the Lexus, a 15-year-old boy, was also killed in the collision.
The driver of the Lexus, Denise Cain, 52, sustained critical injuries and was transported to University Center Backenridge in Austin.
DPS is still investigating the accident but did say all occupants were wearing seatbelts. They are reminding motorists to slow down for inclement weather.
Texas Auto Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,531 people were killed in traffic collisions in Texas in 2015. This marks little improvement over the 3.536 deaths reported in 2014.
- Of the traffic-related deaths recorded in 2015, 807 were attributed to crashes that occurred at or in relation to an intersection.
- An additional 246,335 people were injured in Texas traffic accidents in 2015. 17,011 people suffered serious injuries.
- Based on reportable crash data for 2015, TxDOT estimated:
- A person was killed in a traffic accident in Texas every 2 hours and 29 minutes.
- A person was injured every 2 minutes and 8 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 61 seconds.