4 Injured in 18-Wheeler Crash, Explosion
A home was destroyed and four people were injured in an 18-wheeler crash near Quemado, Texas and exploded.
Details of the Fatal 18-Wheeler Crash
According to KSAT, the crash occurred on soutbound U.S. 277 around 2:15 Monday when the truck driver failed to navigate a curve and crash close to a home.
The tractor-trailer, which was carrying airbag detonators, burst into to flames, and the fire soon spread to the nearby home. A passing vehicle also caught on fire.
Reports indicate that at least two people were airlifted to a San Antonio hospital. Crews are still searching the house for potential victims.
Trucking Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,964 people were killed in trucking accidents in 2013, marking a increase over the 3,944 deaths reported in 2012.
- Of those killed in 2013:
- 697 were occupants of large trucks
- 2,857 were occupants of other vehicles
- 390 were listed a nonoccupants
- An additional 95,000 people were injured in accidents involving large tucks.