4 Killed in West Texas Collision
Four people are dead and two others have been hospitalized following a two-car collision near Odessa, Texas.
About the Fatal Odessa Accident
According to the Star-Telegram, the fatal crash occurred on Monday when a Ford truck traveling north on a roadway when it lost control and entered the southbound lane. The Ford truck collided head-on with a Dodge truck.
The Dodge’s driver, Calistro Carrillo, 35, was pronounced dead at the scene. Two occupants of the Ford truck, Christopher Soliz, 30, and Elizabeth Navarette, 29, also died at the scene. An 8-year-old girl was transported to an area hospital where she also died.
Two young girls in the Ford, a 2-year-old and a 10-year-old, were hospitalized following the crash.
The accident remains under investigation.
Texas Traffic Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,531 traffic-related fatalities were recorded in Texas in 2015. This marked little charge from the 3,536 deaths recorded in 2014.
- An additional 246,335 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2015 with 17,011 people suffering serious injuries.
- Based on reportable crash data for 2015, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident in Texas every 2 hours and 29 minutes.
- One person was injured every 2 minutes and 8 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 61 seconds.