Aiken County Special Education Bus Crashes into Pickup
On the morning of October 14, a bus transporting special education students crashed in Aiken County, South Carolina.
About the Aiken County Bus Incident
According to News Channel 6 (WJBF), the accident happened near the intersection of Highway 421 and Belvedere Clearwater Road. The Aiken County School District reports accident occurred around 7:30 a.m. as two children with special needs were being driven to school. After the crash, the two children were admitted to Augusta University Children’s Medical Center for treatment of possible injury.
Currently, the cause of the crash is unknown.
WRDW/WAGT News gives more information about the incident and state of the two children involved. Major points of incident include:
- The collision involved the bus and a pickup vehicle.
- Both the bus and pickup were driving opposite directions on Augusta Road with a green light. The bus incidentally made a left turn as the pickup was moving forward.
- The children were transported to the hospital wearing neck braces.
- Fortunately, the children were not seriously hurt and sustained minor bruising.
- Three people in the pickup were also hurt and sent to the hospital with non-serious injuries.
Large Truck and Bus Accident Statistics
- According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), 3,978 large trucks and buses were involved in fatal crashes.
- The number of injury crashes involving buses and large trucks increased by 55 percent between 2009 and 2014.
- From 2004 to 2014, intercity bus accidents accounted for 13 percent of all fatal bus crashes. School buses accounted for 41 percent and transit buses accounted for 33 percent.
Contact an Experienced Bus Accident Attorney
If you or your child have been injured in a bus accident, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our team of experienced bus accident attorneys are available to evaluate your claim 24/7, nights and weekends. Thomas J. Henry has the financial resources and the track record of winning that you need in a law firm. Contact us today for a free case review. Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, and Austin, serving clients across Texas and nationwide.