Austin Car Accident Attorney: Nine Steps to Take After an Accident
Being in a car accident can be an extremely disorienting experience. Still, there are certain steps you need to take in order to protect your interests and build a strong claim against the at-fault driver with the help of an Austin car accident attorney.
What to Do If You Have Been Involved in a Car Accident in Austin
Given below are nine important steps you need to take immediately after a car accident.
- Get out of the vehicle as quickly as you can and check yourself for injuries. If you have passengers or pets with you, check them for injuries as well. Get yourself and those who are with you to a safe place.
- If your vehicle is stuck in the middle of the road, turn the flashers on to make sure it is visible to other motorists.
- Call 911 and request the dispatcher for medical assistance. Remember – car accidents can result in serious injuries, some of which might have delayed symptoms. Only a qualified physician can tell you whether you are injured and whether the injuries are serious. So, do not refuse or wait too long to seek medical care after an accident.
- Take pictures of yourself, the passengers who are with you, your vehicle, the other driver, their vehicle, the accident scene, and the landmarks nearby. The more pictures you take, the easier it will be for your Austin car accident attorney to build a case against the negligent driver.
- Obtain the contact information and insurance information of all the parties involved in the accident. Also, obtain the contact information of any individuals in the area who might have witnessed the accident. Your Austin car accident attorney might use their testimonies to strengthen your case against the at-fault driver.
- Scan the area and see if there are any local businesses that have security cameras installed. If there are any, you can request them for the footage of the accident and use it to prove the other driver’s culpability.
- Call your insurance company and tell them that you have been in an accident.
- When law enforcement authorities arrive on the scene, tell them what happened and file a report with them. Try to keep it simple by stating only what you know. Do not assume, speculate, or make up things, as it can affect the credibility of your claims later.
- Contact an experienced Austin car accident attorney. This is undoubtedly the most important step you need to take in the aftermath of a car accident. Having an attorney by your side can ease your burden tremendously, as they will take care of everything – from fact finding to documenting the evidence needed, getting expert testimonies, negotiating with the insurance company, and filing the claim.
Looking for an Experienced Austin Car Accident Attorney to Represent You? Thomas J. Henry is the Right Choice for You!
Attorney Thomas J. Henry has represented numerous car accident victims over the years and recovered millions in damages through verdicts and settlements. He leads the largest personal injury law firm in Texas and employs over 250 attorneys.
To find out if you have a case against the at-fault driver and how much you can sue them for, call our firm today at (866) 517-5659 or contact us using this online form and schedule a free consultation with one of our Austin car accident attorneys.