About the Austin Pedestrian Accident
According to KVUE, the accident occurred on August 23 when a pedestrian standing near a median was struck and killed by a reckless driver. This driver, identified as Rene Conde, 57, has since told authorities that he was not in control of his actions due to being under the influence of marijuana.
Preliminary reports indicate Conde was driving south at high speeds towards an intersection in the 4300 block of S. Lamar Boulevard before swerving away from an oncoming car he had not noticed before. This caused him to crash into the pedestrian, killing him on impact.
Conde had to be rescued from his smashed vehicle which he was trapped in after hitting a street sign and traffic control device as well. Authorities also noted that another person was present in Conde’s vehicle who was not injured.
Conde has been charged with intoxication manslaughter.
Motor Vehicle Substance Abuse Statistics
The information below was taken from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- In 2016, 10,497 people died in alcohol-impaired driving crashes, accounting for 28% of all traffic-related deaths in the United States.
- Of the 1,233 traffic deaths among children ages 0 to 14 years in 2016, 214 (17%) involved an alcohol-impaired driver.
- In 2016, more than 1 million drivers were arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or narcotics. That’s one percent of the 111 million self-reported episodes of alcohol-impaired driving among U.S. adults each year.
- Drugs other than alcohol (legal and illegal) are involved in about 16% of motor vehicle crashes.
- Marijuana use is increasing and 13% of nighttime, weekend drivers have marijuana in their system.
- Marijuana users were about 25% more likely to be involved in a crash than drivers with no evidence of marijuana use, however other factors–such as age and gender–may account for the increased crash risk among marijuana users.
Contact an Experienced Texas Car Accident Lawyer
you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced auto accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, and Austin, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.