Authorities Investigate Fatal Collin County Crash that Killed a Teenage and a Mother of Three
Investigators with the Texas Department of Public Safety are investigating a fatal head-on collision near Nevada, Texas that left a mother of three and a teenager dead.
Details of the Fatal Collin County Crash
According to NBC-DFW, the fatal crash occurred on Farm-to-Market Road 6. Both drivers involved, Benjamin Andrus, 19, and Amanda Willoughby, 27, were killed in the crash.
Willoughby had her three daughters with her, all of whom suffered injuries.
Police say Andrus and Willoughby were traveling in opposite directions along two-lane FM 6 when for an unknown reason one of the drivers crossed over the center line and into oncoming traffic. The two vehicles collided head-on, and Willoughby’s vehicle caught on fire.
Andrus was pronounced dead at the scene. Willoughby died shortly after being arriving to the hospital.
Willoughby’s daughters, 7-year-old twins and a 4-year-old, were taken to Children’s Medical Center in Dallas.
What to Do If a Car Is Traveling the Wrong Direction
Seeing an oncoming vehicle barreling down your lane of traffic can be horrifying; however, it is important to remain as calm as possible and take appropriate evasive action.
- Removed your foot from the accelerator and begin applying the brakes. Do this quickly, but in a controlled manner. Do not slam on the brakes.
- Flash your headlights and blare your horn catch the oncoming driver’s attention.
- Steer to the right of the oncoming vehicle. You may be tempted to move left into oncoming lanes, but if the oncoming driver corrects course, you will collide head-on.
- Try to steer into a clear area. Look for a clear shoulder or level terrain.
- If necessary, driver off the road. It is better to crash into a ditch than collide with another vehicle head-on.
- Call the police and report the driver. Even if you are able to make it through unscathed, your call to the police could save lives further down the road.
Injured in a Dallas Crash? Call Thomas J. Henry Law
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car accident in Dallas or a surrounding area, contact Thomas J. Henry Law now. Our Dallas car accident attorneys can help put you in the best position to obtain maximum compensation for your injuries and damages. Do not risk your claim, call now for a FREE case review.
We are available 24/7, nights and weekends to assist you.