Bicyclist Killed in Corpus Christi Hit-and-Run Crash
Corpus Christi police are searching for a hit-and-run driver involved in a fatal bicycle accident along Interstate 37.
Driver Flees Scene After Hitting Bicyclist
According to KIII-TV, the fatal crash happened along the I-37 access road near Navigation Boulevard. Police say a car hit 50-year-old bobby Crossland as it passed him. The driver fled the scene without rendering aid.
Authorities suspect Crossland’s body had laid at the scene for more than an hour before a passing motorist discovered it. Responders arrived at the scene at around 12:06 am Saturday and pronounced Crossland dead at the scene.
CCPD investigators do have a lead and are trying to get video from where the accident occurred. So far, however, they have not released a description of the vehicle involved.
Anyone with information on the crash is urged to call the CCPD non-emergency number at 361-886-2600.
National Bicycle Accident Fatality Statistics
The following information was provided by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS):
- 843 bicyclists were killed in motor vehicle accidents in 2019, marking a 3% decrease from the 868 deaths reported in 2018.
- Since 1975, the number of deaths among bicyclists ages 20 and older has tripled.
- Males accounted for 86% of those killed in bicycle accidents in 2019.
- 62% of bicyclists killed in traffic crashes in 2019 were not wearing helmets at the time of the crash. 15% were determined to be wearing a helmet and in 23% of fatal crashes, helmet use could not be determined.
- Fatal bicycle accidents were more common in the summer and 21% occurred between 6 pm and 9 pm.
Contact an Experienced Wrongful Death Attorney
If you have lost a loved one to a bicycle accident in or around Corpus Christi, call Thomas J. Henry Law to speak with an attorney near you. Our law firm has represented injured clients throughout South Texas for nearly 30 years. We have the experience and resources to handle your claim with the tenacity you deserve, and our team of more than 200 attorneys means there is always a lawyer working on your case.
Do not wait. Call Thomas J. Henry Law today to speak with a wrongful death lawyer in Corpus Christi.